Sunday, December 4, 2011

Journal Response 9

9. Given the authority to establish a holiday, what would you choose to commemorate? Why? What would the celebration look like?


I would choose commemorate a gay pride as a holiday, because everyone deserves a day and they deserve to be celebrated for being brave enough to come out and say who they really are. They have fought for years and they don’t always win, but they don’t care because like every great hero they don’t give up and they keep fighting for their right to love who they want to love. I admire them for standing up to the ignorant people who don’t understand them and I know that I will stand with them and help them fight, I know their struggle is hard even though I have never seen anyone harass my aunt and my cousin for being lesbian when I’m with them but then again it wasn’t until recently that I knew they were gay and that they each had a special someone. Also we have Valentine ’s Day which is a day about love so why not have a gay pride day they it will not only be about love but human right as well. The celebration would look much like the parade except that it would be one day and everyone would be celebrating, it wouldn’t matter if they were gay or not if they know someone gay or not because it is a holiday, that symbolizes what great people fought for and succeeded in their struggle and they would have a respect for that. There would be rainbow colors and symbols all over the city with civilian wearing a shirt of every color you can possible think of, the smell of hot dogs, hamburger and steak would be penetrating the air, kids running around playing with water guys and water balloons with dogs running around the park wearing tie dye dog shirts. In the middle of the day the will be a parade and people would be cheering and throwing confetti and silly sting, and right when the day is going to end there will be beautiful fire works with a band playing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment